The Crucible : A Note from the Director




Anyone who has been in a play will understand the inevitable post show slump, the empty chasm of space that used to be filled with stories, characters and wonderful friends creating something great.

For me this show has been particularly hard to get over, and the reason is that from the very start, ever person involved in this process put their absolute heart and soul into it which was shown in the absolutely stunning performances each night.

I couldn't be more proud, humbled and in awe of these brave performers and creators who came with me on this adventure. Thank you each and everyone one of you, thank you Islesburgh Drama Group Committee and thank you to the wonderful Garrison audience who supported us.

Stephenie Pagulayan
__________________________


When I read The Crucible for the first time in 2016, I was captured by this incredible story and beautiful literary work. As well as the wonderful characters and captivating story, it connected with me on a socio-political level as I saw the parallels between the hysteria of the Salem Witch Trials and modern life, from modern political turmoil to island life in a community.

The challenge I felt was to respect the integrity of the original piece while finding a way to resonate with a local audience. It was on a long drive out west, looking at the changeable moody sky which led me to consider the parallels of our Shetland landscape and the context of the play. With the support of a wonderful creative and research team, we embarked upon creating a Scottish island aesthetic as a canvas for our piece.

Our company has been working tirelessly for the past few months to identify with the truth of these famous characters, to gain understanding of the humanity underneath the horror of the witch trials in the 1600s and to create our own Salem reimagining the play within our local context. We hope you enjoy our interpretation and the story resonates with you as much as it has with us.

This project has been a huge undertaking for Islesburgh Drama Group and I extend my sincere thanks to every performer, researcher, designer and creator that has come on this adventure to bring The Crucible to life. Thank you also the Shetland Film Archive who have worked in partnership with our creative team from the outset of this ambitious project.

My personal thanks must also go to my friends and beautiful family who have been endlessly patient, listening and supportive through every step of this journey. Thank you for holding my hand as we leapt into the sky.

The Directors Note taken from the performance programme