Blue Stockings : A Note from the Director



An initial reading to hear the script of Blue Stockings back in April set about the journey over the last six months to bring this show to life. When I heard our wonderful cast reading the play for the first time I just knew we had to find a way of doing this. It was them who spurred me on to leap into the unknown and give producing a go and I must thank all the members who have provided support and advice along the way.

This play is incredible for so many reasons and it would be difficult to sum them all up in this short note. What must be mentioned however, is the way this show has brought together our diverse Blue Stockings company; new members alongside those with years of experience, people of all ages and from all walks of life, all committed to doing justice to the incredible pioneers of women's rights and equality who bravely attended Girton College all those years ago.

The cast and crew's patient, meticulous attention to detail in all aspects of this production has made my first time producing an absolute joy. I am incredibly proud to have been part of the team to bring this wonderful show to the stage.

I must also share my personal thanks to the strong, independent women who are the backbone of our wonderful drama group. The pioneers of taking risks and putting in the tireless hard work to bring unique plays to our wonderful theatre, the women who sit in the background giving quiet support and encouragement, seeking no thanks or praise from the people they support. You are my inspiration.

This one is for you and I  hope we make you proud.

Stephenie Pagulayan