Blue Stockings : Favourite Lines

Blue Stockings was a very wordy play and pretty well all the cast had some very memorable lines to say. Here are some of our favourites:


"I'm just so surprised .... DELIGHTED!! to see you here .... this is science and Oh god .... did you knit that yourself? Oh hell ......."
Edwards (Sonny Thomason)

"Nobody but me would be that daft!"
Mr Peck (David Smith)

"She was going quite a lick actually."
Ralph Mayhew (Isaac Webb)



"Beethoven once said music is beyond any wisdom or philosophy. It's like searching for something .... more."
Holmes (Daniel Inkster)

"A doting husband or a life of intellectual fire, and you're perfectly alone. Go on. Choose."
Miss Blake (Zoe Spence)

"Controversial! Bloody madness!"
Professor Radleigh (Bob Skinley)




"I'll wait! I'm not going anyway, not without you."
Will Bennett (Martin Summers)

"Mrs Welsh .... there's a man in the building!"
Minnie (Mandy Phillips)

"We are not passengers, people like us don't get buffeted by the wind, we change it's course."
Celia (Cara Leask)



"I'll just grow a cassava and spear myself an antelope, shall I?"
Tess (Sula Brookes)

"Visitors must maintain a minimum distance of thirty inches."
Miss Bott (Jennie Atkinson)

"You know what the Masai say - a big goat does not stop without reason."
Caroline (Juliet Mullay)





"Silk Brocade with double stitching. Absolutely!"
Mrs Lindlay (Joyce Williamson)

"You seem to think it is merely an affair of clothes."
Dr. Maudlsey (Andy Long)

"Whoa, there'll be a hot time in the old town tonight my baby!"
Lloyd (Reece Paul)





"But you don't have the telescopic equipment!"
Professor Collins (Karl Ward)

"The mind like it's creator is free."
Maeve (Lydia Hay)

"Oh, Banks. For a double first scholar, you ARE a little slow on the uptake."
Professor Anderson (David Smith)

"No good though is it, being extraordinary at books when there's a babe and young 'uns with no one to mother them."
Billy Sullivan (Eldon Wigram)

Finally words which today seem unbelievable and yet 100 years ago summed up women's struggle against male prejudice and dominance.

"The world makes little sense to me. I have no reason to feel attached to it. I am a woman, I cannot own it, I cannot vote for those who rule it. I don't even have rights over the children I bring into it."
Mrs Welsh (Morag Mouat)