A New Member's Experience

Well the panto is now finished and we had a great last night party (more about that in another post!).  So over the next few days we shall tell a few stories and share some great photographs taken by Rhona Summers and Zoe Galbraith backstage.


Today one of our new members, Amanda MacNeill, is sharing her experience of joining the group.  Amanda is only in Shetland for a year, arrived on a Tuesday in August and joined the group two days later! We have loved having her with us and hope that she will return to Shetland once her studies are over.
 
Islesburgh Drama Group is the best group of people I have ever met and have had the pleasure of working with.  Coming from a small village on the west coast of Scotland, it was a daunting move to a small island in the middle of the North Sea. 

But once I had gone along to the Open Night the Drama Group put on in August, I felt so welcomed and that I belonged in Shetland.  That feeling hasn't changed. 

I have never worked with such a big cast and doing so many rehearsals was exhausting, but I loved every minute of it and would do it again in an instant!   
   
The pantomime was an absolute dream to do and even though I hadn't been in a panto before, everyone took me under their wing and showed me the tricks of the trade.  We even have a "panto mummy"!

Some of my best memories have been with the drama group, whether it is rehearsing or doing the actual performance.  I will never forget moments like losing a shoe and those festering haemorrhoids (one of the props!). 

I am so thankful that I have met these wonderful people and I will take away all the experience that I have gained.


Amanda (far right) with May, Beattie, Levi and Joyce
All ready for Scene 3